Wednesday, February 25, 2009

TWD Caramel Crunch Bars

twdcaramelcrunch5

Yes, they are tall!  Unlike the suggestion in the book, I chose to bake the dough in an 8 x 11 fluted tart pan – more dough in a smaller pan  =  a thicker base.  I wanted a taller bar to serve at a special event this coming Saturday. 

My mother is always particular about her bar and cookie presentations.  Her sitne kolače (small cakes) are individual, bite-size pieces served on rectangular crystal trays.  There is always a colorful variety on each tray, with cookies placed neatly in rows.  These will fit right in! 

Thanks to Whitney of What's left on the table? for choosing Caramel Crunch Bars from Dorie Greenspan’s book Baking from my home to yours.  Please check her site for the recipe and to see how other bakers fared during the process.

For the base I used Ghirardelli chocolate baking bars, 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate, which happen to be my favorite bars for snacking!  I added 1/3 cup toasted and chopped almonds to the dough for a nutty flavor.  The espresso powder and cinnamon intensifies the flavor of the chocolate.  I wouldn’t leave it out.  If you like seriously sweet desserts, this one is for you.  Serve these cut in small pieces!

Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips melted on top of a thick base:twdcaramelcrunch2

Heath toffee bits sink into the warm pillow of chocolate:twdcaramelcrunch4

This is a great basic recipe that I am going to experiment with.  Next time I plan to sprinkle toasted, slivered almonds on top instead of the toffee bits.  Hazelnuts would be divine with the chocolate…or how about Nutella… berries… jam… whipped cream…

twdcaramelcrunch6

Prijatno!

4 comments:

  1. Gabe liked yours better than mine :-( He liked the softer version. We are divided in the house over crunchy versus chewy. Gabby will break the tie when she gets older! Thanks for all your help today. You are the best and our dinner turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dragana, that looks amazing! Gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Word

    I think that is all I can say. I also think I can taste them...what a great photo, too!

    (saw you on the Darling Bakers blog...and welcome...I just joined too)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some of the best I've seen, well done!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Prijatno! Your comments are important to me. Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note!