Sunday, April 12, 2009

Coconut Butter Thins

TWD Coconut butter thins2

Late again with my TWD post.  Over a week late, I must confess!  Sometimes work, social events and training for a two-day 170- mile bicycle ride (MS150 Houston to Austin) just gets in the way of a blogger! 

I made Dorie Greenspan’s Coconut Butter Thins over two weeks ago and they were quickly consumed by me and my training buddies.   Fortunately for me, cycling demands an increase in calorie intake so I forget about the guilt and indulge in sweets to my palate’s content!  Bring on those hills!  My sugar-laden body owns them!

The basis of these rich buttery cookies is shortbread dough.  The addition of toasted macadamia nuts and coconut put a distinctive, crunchy spin on an otherwise plain cookie.  My favorite part of the baking process was rubbing the lime zest into the sugar.  My entire kitchen smelled fresh and citrusy.  These cookies are definitely worth a try and wonderful with a cup of coffee.

Thanks to Jayne at The Barefoot Kitchen Witch for choosing this recipe.  It’s probably not one that I would have been moved to make, but having done so, I’m really glad that I did.    These are the pleasant surprises that come with belonging to a group like TWD.  You can find the complete recipe and a funny account of Jayne’s cute daughter helping mommy make the cookies by clicking on the name of her blog above.  She even included detailed how-to pictures. 

And…I just couldn’t resist sharing this beautiful orchid with you.  It’s one of the many blooming orchids in my kitchen window.TWD Coconut butter thins1

Prijatno!

2 comments:

  1. Pretty pictures! I'm glad you enjoyed the cookies. Good luck with your ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies sound good - something I would definitely like! (Hmm... is that a good thing or a bad thing...) ;) The orchid is beautiful. That color is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Prijatno! Your comments are important to me. Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note!