Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Dorie’s delectable Savory Corn and Pepper Muffins!

twdcorndetail2

I do not have much time to write tonight, but I did manage to make Dorie’s moist and delectable corn muffins this morning. Move over Aunt Jemima – make way for these tasty delights! If you have not made corn muffins from scratch yet – this is an easy recipe to begin with.

The inclusion of buttermilk in the recipe immediately won me over! I hail from a culture where buttermilk and yogurt are consumed on a daily basis and are credited with longevity (I’m hoping for the same!). When used in baking, they add lots of moisture and sometimes a little tang. Pair buttermilk or yogurt with hot corn ‘mush’ or polenta and, in my humble opinion, you have a wholesome breakfast that beats any over processed cereal from a box.

I was lucky enough to pick several small red bell peppers from our garden less than a week ago (such are the perks of mild Houston winters). I chopped a couple up and they added beautiful color and flavor to the muffins. I used frozen corn and added 3 more tablespoons to the batter. I used only 1 tablespoon of sugar because I like my savory muffins less sweet. In the absence of a fresh jalapeno, I chopped up some pickled slices from the relish shelf in the refrigerator. They provided just the right amount of heat. Cilantro is my favorite herb, so I jacked up the amount by about 1/2 tablespoon.

When combined, I noticed that the batter was quite thick and foamy and I suspected that the baking soda was already reacting to the the acids in the buttermilk, getting the leavening process underway. I baked the batter in three different size muffin pans for variety and when they came out, the first thing I did was devour a couple with a chilled glass of buttermilk. They were very flavorful and moist – the perfect breakfast treat!

Moist and flavorful!twdcorndetail

Thanks to Rebecca of Ezra Pound Cake for suggesting Savory Corn and Pepper Muffins on page 6 of Baking, From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan.

Prijatno!

5 comments:

  1. We are such night owls! Gabe and I are clinging to our last hours together before he departs. He is making us cocktails right now, so I am catching up with today's blogs. Wonderful pictures. I have yet to see one bad picture you have taken. I am so happy you are in the club. Thanks for letting me borrow some milk to make my own buttermilk. I really need to get into the habit of buying some. Gotta go, Gabe is back! Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your muffins are beautiful! These were very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! The muffins look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliments!
    Let's take some pictures together, Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your muffins look delicious! How wonderful that you are able to be picking peppers from your garden.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Prijatno! Your comments are important to me. Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note!