Tuesday, January 20, 2009

TWD Berry Surprise Cake and an Inauguration!

twdberrysurprise4

This is a short post today because I’ve been distracted by the Inauguration. Who was Michelle Obama wearing?  A sparkling Isabel Toledo creation in my favorite color – yellow!   We have a new President and first family and I wish them well. 

Today’s Tuesdays With Dorie recipe, Berry Surprise Cake from Dorie Greenspan’s book Baking, From My Home To Yours, was chosen by Mary Ann of Meet Me in the Kitchen.  My DSN (dearest sweetest neighbor) Carolina and I decided to combine our efforts for this one, and we baked two smaller cakes using only one recipe.  She did the math using the well-known kitchen formula: pie are squared! and the 5” and 6.5” round pans combined  were close enough in area to the specified 8” pan.

We had heard from other TWD bakers about the cake falling in the middle.  To prevent this we added 2 tablespoons of meringue powder with the flour.  It’s a new nifty tip for me and our cakes held their height quite well once they cooled.

twdberrysurprise2

A hole was cut out in the centre and we liberally doused it with simple syrup spiked with cherry liqueur.  The cream cheese filling was not very sweet, but was complemented by the sweet whipped cream topping.  Carolina was lucky to find decent raspberries and blueberries at this time of year and they added to the elegant presentation.  This cake would make any occasion special.  Try it!

 twdberrysurprise1

twdberrysurprise5

Here’s a photo I entered in the CLICK! The Photo Event 

for January, 2009.  The theme is RED!

Berry Surprise!

twdberrysurprise3

Prijatno!

9 comments:

  1. Nicely done, DSN! I did not get to see your's decorated until now. I did not like the dress. It looked like a drape. I also thought she did not walk really well in it, but I am sure I will be in the minority.
    Great cake, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dragana, I'm so glad you've left that comment on my blog. that way I could trace your lovely blog. I simply don't know how I've missed something this good.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gabe's Girl - I think she walks a little awkwardly because she towers over everyone (she's 6'). She slouches a little. Also, she had a layer of pashmina built into the outfit because of the frigid weather! Must be nice...

    Bechky - thanks for the compliment

    Cuisine by monsoon - my maternal grandfather was born in Dalmacija

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Your cake is so tall! I love the decoration you did on the side with a serrated knife. Your cake looks amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning! It looks like it came from a bakery, that's for sure. The picture of the berries is really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake looks delicious and very elegant too :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how beautiful! Your cake is a work of art, as are your photos. I love the lighting and how you have captured the deep colors of the berries.

    It looks absolutely delicious.

    Very, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for your lovely entry.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Prijatno! Your comments are important to me. Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note!