Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Grilled corn (esquite) with black beans, lime dressing and queso Cotija

024 v1One of my favorite aromas is grilled sweet summer corn emanating from Hispanic food stands and taco trucks.   Smoky and hot with the presence of a little char, roasted corn on the cob is becoming a common street food here in Texas as it is in Mexico.  Known as elote, corn is usually roasted in its husk.  When stripped but left attached at the end, the husk (also known as the shuck) becomes the handle with which one eats the corn.   Slathered with mayonnaise, lime and chili powder, it is one toothsome treat!

Cinco de Mayo Roasted Corn 009 v1

Elote that has been cut off the cob are called esquites, and that’s what I served my delightful bunco group at my Cinco de Mayo feast this year.  Served with traditional Mexican accompaniments of mayonnaise, lime juice, chili powder, cayenne pepper and Cotija cheese, I took my esquites one step further by adding black beans and scallions.   It was very well received!

Roasted corn (esquites) with black beans, lime dressing and queso Cotija

4 ears corn, husks on

½ – 1 can black beans (14-oz), rinsed and drained

2 scallions, chopped

Lime dressing (see below)

1/3 cup queso Cotija (Cotija cheese), crumbled

To roast the corn: Soak corn with husks intact in cold water for 30 minutes. Drain water and pat dry. Broil or grill corn, turning every few minutes, until the husks char and corn kernels are cooked but still firm, about 12 – 18 minutes depending on the intensity of the heat. Cool and remove husks. Cut kernels off the cob and place them in a bowl.

Add black beans, scallions and lime dressing. Toss to combine and top with crumbled Cotija cheese and sprig of cilantro.

Lime dressing:

1/3 cup mayonnaise (sour cream or yogurt would be fine as well)

2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice

¼ teaspoon chili powder, or a little more to taste

¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

¼ teaspoon cumin

¼ teaspoon salt

Combine sour cream or mayonnaise, lime juice, chili powder, cayenne, cumin and salt in a small bowl.  Set aside. 046 v1

 Prijatno!

7 comments:

  1. This medley of tastes has to be perfect, as an accompaniment to a Mexican main dish. And it looks fantastic!
    There is a Mexican who comes around very often with a cart in the summer, offering his fares - grilled corn and paletas (fruit ice cream or sorbet) - he is more popular than an ice cream truck!
    Pozdrav iz Kalifornije!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had some leftovers for lunch. It is even better the next day. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although it's not local I saw fresh corn in the market this morning. You've combined all my favorite flavors in this tasty salad, Dragana. This will be on my dinner menu very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 10, 2010

    I am young women from Czech republic and just found your blog today, when I was looking for new good recepies. Dragana I need you say, big thanks for all your recepies. They are fantastic!! I am totally amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Dragana, I am a new food blogger with recipes from Serbia and around the world..inspired by your beautiful blog...fantastic recipes..I give you this award...come to visit my blog to collect it..thank you for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  6. once again, you have prepared, photo'd and posted an incredible dish. thanks for such great ideas, roz

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Prijatno! Your comments are important to me. Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note!